Anglo-Saxon Glass beaker

Title

Anglo-Saxon Glass beaker

Subject

Archaeology

Description

M/1992/5.
Glass beaker, probably imported from France in the 5th century. It is decorated with glass thread, wound round and round the beaker below the rim. It is one of several Anglo-Saxon objects found by workmen when they were building Edridge Road between February 1893 and September 1894. Some of the objects were given to the old Grangewood Museum in Croydon and are now being looked after by Croydon Museum Service. The rest were given to the British Museum. Between 1600 and 1300 years ago, Edridge Road was the site of a Anglo-Saxon cemetery.
Noticed a mistake? Have some extra information about this object? Please contact us museum@croydon.gov.uk

Creator

Croydon Museum Service

Language

English

Date Created

2010-08-11

Files

Anglo-Saxon Glass beaker

Citation

Croydon Museum Service, “Anglo-Saxon Glass beaker,” Woruldhord, accessed June 25, 2017, http://poppy.nsms.ox.ac.uk/woruldhord/items/show/245.

Geolocation