The Reculver Columns, Canterbury Cathedral

Title

The Reculver Columns, Canterbury Cathedral

Subject

Architecture

Description

"These columns upheld three arches, which divided the apse from the nave, in the Saxon church at Reculver, which was built when Theodore of Tarsus was Archbishop of Canterbury in 670. They were part of the original building. Between 1540 and 1800 the sea had encroached a quarter of a mile and was threatening the church. In 1807 some of the masonry was used to build a new church two miles inland; some was used to build Margate Pier. In 1859 the drums of the columns and one of the capitals were found in an orchard near Canterbury, and the second capital was brought from a farmyard at Reculver. These were set up in the Water Tower Garden. In December 1932 they were brought, for shelter, into this undercroft [the crypt of Canterbury Cathedral]."

Creator

Jonathan Dore

Date

670

Date Created

2010-08-30

Files

The Reculver Columns, Canterbury Cathedral

Citation

Jonathan Dore, “The Reculver Columns, Canterbury Cathedral,” Woruldhord, accessed November 30, 2020, http://poppy.nsms.ox.ac.uk/woruldhord/items/show/504.

Geolocation