Ashmolean Museum inventory no. AN1909.453. Gold, garnet. Mid 7th century. The central roundel is divided into concentric rings, comprised of rectangular and T-shaped cloisonné work cells. The flared arms of the cross comprise a central panel divided into four sections, bordered by rectangular cells containing garnets of a brighter red than those in the centre of the panel. The upper arm is modified to attach the biconical suspension loop. The back of the cross is made of a single sheet of gold, with a small repair patch on the border between the upper arm and central roundel. The cross is probably contemporary with the Wilton Cross and Sutton Hoo jewellery. Discovered in 1886 in a grave in Stanton, Ixworth, alongside a fragmentary disc brooch.
Mid 7th century
Ashmolean Museum, “Ixworth Cross,” Woruldhord, accessed November 15, 2018, http://poppy.nsms.ox.ac.uk/woruldhord/items/show/677.